The online world is saturated with cat videos, memes and random 3am thoughts, but how do you stand out when competing against adorable animals, industry professionals and a barrage of bloggers? The answer is to carve out your own corner of the Internet via personal website (which can also include cats)! A personal website is a crucial part of your personal brand.
By creating a personal website, you are taking an active role by influencing what people find when they see you online. Here are just some of the benefits to having a personal website:
- Build Your Credit:
- Having a personal website is a great way to build up your credit and establish your expertise. It allows for you to be creative and differentiate yourself from your competitors. Employers, both current and potential will see your website and better understand your personal brand, it allows you to take control of your identity and influence the perception others will have about you and the services you offer.
- Bottom line: a personal website is exactly that, personal!
- As you continue to brand yourself through your website, it will highlight your strengths, credibility and give you a direction in which to use them. Your target audience wants to know that you can do what you say you’re going to do. You build credibility not through your words but through your actions.
- Connect With Ease:
- One of the best perks of having a personal website is that it will help not only you to correspond with those with whom you are not officially connected but also with potential employers or clients who will find the best way to contact you through your site. Having a good personal website will strengthen your brand and help you attract more opportunities for networking, ones that you might not have even thought possible.
- Time is Money:
- Not only will a personal website save employers time by having all of your information and contacts in one convenient place, but it will also save you time because it covers many of the initial questions that someone might ask. Rather than responding to phone calls, messages or e-mails, your website can speak for you. This means that it’s working for you around the clock. Your site will be a walking “personal networker” that will help you achieve recognition and build a network.
- If you are worried about the costs of building a website, fear no more! As a top ramen, pop tart and Kraft mac and cheese connoisseur, even a college student like myself who lives on a strict budget (the kind of budget where I poor water into my essentially empty shampoo bottle to get every last drop) knows the worth of a good personal website. Not only does it work 24/7, it helps you save on the cost of paper products and other supplies you’d need to keep up to date in other, more traditional ways. Moreover, nowadays with the emerging importance of digital networking, there are many sites where you can even start a website for free (and purchasing a domain isn’t expensive either!) think of it as purchasing one vegan-pressed-green-cleanse-hipster-yoga- Earth juice a month.
Remember, you already have a personal brand! Now you need to think about ways to strategize it to make it work for your benefit. A well-executed personal website will open doors and help to convey your personal brand. It’s a fully customizable platform to showcase you in the best most convenient way possible. A great way to start building your personal brand is to take training courses, start with ProSky’s online Social Media Marketing course!