NO CATEGORY / 04 June 2019Things to Consider Before Accepting a Job Offer
1. Tell me a bit about yourself and what you do?
I am the former managing editor of Technorati, where I led a team of contributing writers who blogged about Silicon Valley tech conferences, and trends in social, mobile and cloud technologies. Today, I consult with brands on content marketing and thought leadership.
2. Why did this type of work interest you? Is this something you always saw yourself doing?
I began my career in the product and project management space at Sun, and later at Intel. I'd always been a good writer, so I just sort-of evolved into a blogger-turned-journalist. Being in San Francisco--the heart of tech--is what made my career possible.
3. What particular skills or talents are most essential to be effective in your job?
What's so often missing in good blogging, as well as good business, is attention to detail. This is particularly true when you're creating content.
4. If you could go back, what would you have done differently? What advice would you give to your 20 year old self?
I never would have bothered setting up a MySpace account. A lot of the GIFs weren't even transferrable to Facebook, so a lot of it was a waste. But seriously, I would have pursued writing much more from the beginning. At some point I'd like to study English literature again, where I first found my fondness for words.
5. Any final words of wisdom for those who are just beginning their careers?
I waited much too long to find a mentor(s). Having one is a natural element in the cycle of business, so don't be bashful asking for one.