NO CATEGORY / 05 January 20195 Job Search Tips to Use When You're Under Qualified for a Job
1. Tell me a bit about yourself and what you do.
My name is Kyle Wong and I'm the founder and CEO of Pixlee. Pixlee is a marketing platform that allows brands to use real customer stories to improve their marketing effectiveness.
2. Is this something you always saw yourself doing?
Since high school I've always been interested in entrepreneurship but I didn't grow up thinking I was going to be an entrepreneur. For me, I've been attracted to the ups and downs associated with entrepreneur and the ability to have an impact regardless of your age through hard work.
3. What are the different career paths someone can take if they want to enter this field?
Honestly there is no one particular career path to become an entrepreneur but there are a few tips I'd definitely recommend:
1) Take interdisciplinary courses in school: Learning how to think critically, problem solve, and think outside of the box are great skills to learn at a young age
2) Be a sponge in all aspects of your life: You can learn a lot of valuable skills in every job, whether it's your first job as a waiter or if you have 20 years of experience in the industry. These experiences will shape your views and your perspective.
4. What skill sets do you wish you had learned in college that you didn’t?
I think an underrated skill that should be taught in college is basic sales. A lot of what a startup founder does involves selling, whether it's a customer, a recruit, or investor.
5. Any final words of wisdom for those who are just beginning their careers?
Be self aware. Where do you see yourself in the next ten years?I want to be in a place where my decision matters on an important issue.
6. Finally, if you could have only one type of food for the rest of your life - what would it be?
Kyle Wong is the Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder of Pixlee, a visual marketing platform that helps brands to market and sell using real customer photos and videos. Pixlee works with over 150 customers, including top brands such as Levi’s Jeans, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, and Kenneth Cole. Kyle graduated from Stanford University where he earned his degree in engineering. He is a mentor for the Stanford Accelerator (StartX) program, where he advises several early-stage VC backed tech startups. Kyle has been featured in Forbes’ 30 Under 30 List and is a regular speaker and domain expert on in influencer marketing and driving consumer engagement through social media. He is an active contributor for Forbes and Fortune Magazine where he writes on digital marketing, entrepreneurship, and various leadership and career topics. Twitter:@kwong47 Feel free to add his linkedin!