Job security is important more than ever lately. There are so many positions being outsourced, eliminated, or redone it’s hard for anyone to feel like their job is safe. Everyone is replaceable in the workplace but to be indispensable means that your boss can replace you they just can’t imagine ever doing so. Here are 12 ways to be indispensable in the workplace.
- Take the time to do work that is really meaningful: Tackle work that really matters to the company. It’s easy to get lost doing work that keeps you under the radar. If you really want to stand out, help the company succeed!
- Dominate a task: Find some task that needs to get done by the organization and make sure that you are the only person who knows how to do it. If they need you they can’t get rid of you.
- Always be willing to go the extra mile: Display a "can do" attitude even in demanding situations. Try to solve problems, rather than to pass them on to other people. First answer is “yes, I’ll make it happen”. Go beyond your job description. Do work that gets you noticed.
- Have a good attitude: No matter what is going on in the office always remember to stay positive. No one says you have to run around the office with pom poms cheering everyone on bringing the boss donuts (however if that’s your thing go for it). Instead have a positive mental attitude and approach different challenges at work with an open mind. It doesn’t matter if you come to the table with a different viewpoint than your boss as long as you’re open minded to change.
- Be a team player: It’s great to be the leader but don’t allow that to get in the way of you succeeding. Sometimes it’s okay to let others take control. It shows genuine commitment because team players are generally committed to their cause. A good team player might participate in the office hours but a great team player will make the participation worth his time. He will give a 110% to his work for excellence.
- Always be caught up with the latest technology and trends: Technology and trends are constantly changing so if you’re caught up you are valuable to the company. If you can become the go-to person when anyone has a question about these matters you can become even more valuable.
- Be trustworthy: Being tight-lipped is the perfect way to show your employees and co-workers that you can be trusted. Plus, you’ll be more likely to trust someone you know won’t be blabbing your work or personal troubles throughout the office. Make sure to keep a close watch on your conversations. Trust takes a while to build, but only a moment to destroy.
- Take the time to talk to your boss: If you have developed a meaningful relationship with your boss it’ll be harder for him to let you go. Stop in every now and then to discuss your career goals, ask him how his kids are, or just stop by to say hello. Your boss is rooting for you to succeed.
- Become friends with your co-workers: You probably spend more time with your co-workers than with your own family/friends. Why not make the most of it by developing meaningful relationships. It’s one of the simplest moves to make a smart move at work. Take the time to ask them about their own families, or what they did on the weekend. If you really like them hang out outside of the office! Remember if you don’t care about them chances are they don’t care about you either.
- Embrace change: Not only should you embrace change but you should run with it. If your boss implements a new policy be the first one to adapt to it. Showing you’re good at coping with change only improves your image in the company’s eyes.
- Take initiative: Never wait for assignments to land on your desk. If you’re waiting around for work to come how will you shine in your boss’s eyes? Show everyone that you’re a go getter by jumping on tasks that can help everyone out.
- Buy into the company vision: You were hired to help bring the company vision to life. Your chances for success increase when you start working towards something that is bigger than yourself. You’re positioning yourself as irreplaceable when you succeed at your job and help others along the way!
Success doesn't come easily but it's also definitely not the hardest thing to accomplish. With a little help from our blog and some motivation, you will be well on your way!